Stupity - It's Supply and Demand!

Friday, August 1, 2008

Robby went in for his two week check-up, today, and I'm happy to report a clean bill of health! He did lose 5oz., but she didn't seem too concerned about it. She wanted me to bring him in in a month instead of two just to make sure he's gaining enough weight, but I think it was just the source being stupid. Which brings me to my story of why I say "she" instead of "he"...

Dr. Dan, Robby and I's doctor, wasn't in the office today, so I was stuck with a nurse practitioner. She was nice enough, but had a major hearing problem - and not the Helen Keller kind of hearing problem (no tact, here), but the "I hear you, but I just don't care what you're saying" kind of hearing problem. First, she was giving me a hard time because I wasn't having him circumcised and I had to explain my reasoning why and how we had debated and researched it thoroughly (I felt like I had to prove my case in court), but she still was questioning why I wasn't doing it and offered that we do it next time when Dr. Dan got back. Uh, no! He's REALLY going to feel it, then! Then she got on me for not fully breastfeeding him and couldn't get it through her head why, even though I explained that part of my "case", too. "It's supply and demand, " she kept telling me. "I know," I said, "but that's the thing - I'm just not supplying enough for his demand." "Oh, well, it takes time." "So, I'm supposed to let him starve until then?" I said. "Well, it's supply and demand." Um, is your repeat button stuck or something? I tried to explain that it runs in my family, how I had tried to exclusively breastfeed, but he wasn't getting enough and was starving, and that he's perfectly happy, now, and still getting a little breast milk, but she just kept repeating the same thing over and over again. Then she told me, "You need to stop feeding him formula. He's going to get hooked on it and won't feed from the breast and then your supply will go down." Echo...echo...echo. Evidently, there is no intelligent life on her planet. At that point, I just tuned her out, so I couldn't tell you what other pearls of medical wisdom she had to share. All I know is I was there for an hour, most of which was spent with her mindless dribble about supply and demand and icky uncircumcised penises (what kind of mother am I?), when Dr. Dan would have had me in and out in 15-20 minutes flat, minus the hassle. I miss Dr. Dan.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS