Much Different Experience

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I want to stress this first - the baby is just fine. In fact, he's perfect from what the ultrasound showed. He's measuring perfect and is perfectly healthy.

That being said, now the details. I went in feeling rather guarded, not knowing what to expect. My blood pressure has remained steady, but they still consider it "high" (130/90). Normal for me (and better than with Robby), though. They did the ultrasound first (the pictures are the worst by far, but I was told that they're not great this late in the pregnancy anyways) and the nurse assured me that everything was looking great. The baby is breech right now, but it isn't a problem since I'm having a c-section. The doctor came in (one I had seen before and like) and he agreed that everything was looking good. "Now, " I said, "Honestly - do you really believe everything is fine?" I briefly explained my horrible experience with Dr. Doom last time and how I left the office crying. He apologized for my rotten appointment and once again assured me that everything was as it should be. "We'll still be doing stress tests every week from now on because of your blood pressure, unless things change for the worst - then you'll get them multiple times a week." He spared me the stress test this time since the ultrasound was enough to show that the baby was indeed fine. I asked if it was truly necessary and he explained to me that high blood pressure can effect the placenta and, in turn, stress the baby, who won't urinate as much, thus making the fluid level drop (I'm not making this up). Whether this is really true or not, I don't know, but it sounded logical to me. Most of the amniotic fluid at this point is his "urine", so I guess it all makes sense. Anyways - we scheduled my c-section and then the doctor left me to clothe myself again (had to "dress-down" for a Hep B test), but popped back a couple minutes later. He explained that the surgery schedule for Friday, April 2nd was already very full and that it might be better that we do it on March 30th instead. "Also, " he said, "I'm concerned that your blood pressure's not going to hold out until then. You've done well so far, but I have a bad feeling it may spike in the end. Not good." Understatement. So, it looks like Drew will be born on the 30th, not the 2nd. I'm slightly bummed about this, since I was excited to be having a Good Friday baby, but it actually works out pretty well. Matt's vacation was originally scheduled for the week of the 29th (he would have been able to switch weeks with someone else prior) and my step mom, Kathy, will be flying in on April 1st and staying until the 10th, which means I'll have plenty of help. So, March 30th it is. Still waiting on an exact time, though. It looks like I'll be getting the same doctor that delivered Robby, though, which is pretty neat. My next appointment is next Thursday, the 11th. Will update then.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS