First Fever

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Of all the "firsts" first-time parents get to experience (both good and bad), there's a couple that I personally dread the most - the first injury and first sickness. I've officially experienced both in two short months.

Robby was doing just fine after his shots, yesterday, other than being a little on the sleepy side, but then around 7pm, he started getting really cranky. After going through the usual checklist of possible offenders, Matt noticed that his face and forehead were on the warm side, so I took his temperature. 101. Great. So, we sent Daddy out for some baby Tylenol as I tried my best to comfort my ailing baby without losing it myself. Within an hour after taking the Tylenol, his fever broke and he was able to relax. After keeping it together the whole time, I lost it. I started bawling. I felt like a dork, but it was scary for me, having had nothing but the healthiest of babies thus far. Plus, I think a large part of me still wants to think of him as fragile, even though he's really not. I doubt I'll ever get over that.

Matt comforted me and assured me that he was going to be just fine and I felt better holding him. Just before slipping off to blissful baby slumber in my arms, he looked me straight in the eyes, grinned widely, and drunkenly gurgled at me as if to say, "I'm okay, Mama. Don't worry." He then slept through the night, awaking chipper, playful, and fever-free in the morning. I'm not looking forward to November.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS