Kirby

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Before Robby made his grand appearance into our lives, we adopted our dog, Kirby, to serve as a "surrogate son" to fill the void of a child. We had pretty much given up any hope of having children, so we decided to try and adopt a dog from the local humane society. We had to jump through many hoops in order to have Kirby since our apartment complex didn't allow animals, but Dr. Dan was nice enough to write a note for us so we could. I can't believe that was two years ago. It feels like we've had him forever! He made the heartbreak of infertility issues much more bearable and just having another warm body in the house with me made me feel a lot less lonely.

Much to our surprise, we ended up pregnant and poor Kirby has to give up a lot of his "Mama/Daddy time" because of Robby. I don't have the time or energy to give him the exercise his high-maintenance self requires, I don't have time or energy to play with Robby and him, and it's getting harder and harder to keep up on taking care of Robby and him. So, we'd decided to do what's best for both "parties". It was an extremely hard decision, but we decided to give him to my grandparents, who live on an 80 acre farm in Buhl. He absolutely LOVES it there and will have other dogs to play with and people who can give him the attention he needs and deserves. Plus, my grandparents recently had to put down one of their dogs due to old age and were thinking of getting a new dog, anyway. I feel so bad for Kirby. He's so miserable here. We've left him with my grandparents before while we were on vacation and he always has a blast there, but when he gets home, he's so depressed that he won't eat for a couple days. Just lays around and mopes. I can't do that to him. He deserves so much better! So, out of love, I won't torture the poor little guy and I'll send him to live where he can run and play until his paws fall off. And we can go see him whenever we want! I couldn't of found a better fit. God planned it out perfectly!

I love my dog very much and that is why I can't stand watching him being tortured anymore. He's a wonderful companion and he was there for me when I really needed someone to love and take care of, but things have changed and I have to switch my attention to raising my son. If Kirby stays here any longer, we'll both go crazy. So, come Thanksgiving, we'll be packing up his "belongings" and moving him to the country. We'll miss him very much, but at least I know he's going to a good, loving home.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS