Blessed by Strangers

Monday, November 24, 2008

I was buzzing around the house as usual, tonight, making dinner and taking care of the baby when I heard a knock at the door. I immediately looked at the clock, "Who would be coming at 7 o'clock?" I asked Matt.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I have no idea." I went to the door and opened it to find a couple from our church standing there with a big, yellow tote and wide smiles on their faces. I invited them in.

"Um, hi. How are you guys?" I asked, completely confused as to why they had suddenly dropped in and what could possibly be in the tote. "I'm sorry my house is kind of messy." (Baby things were EVERYWHERE.)

"Oh, that's fine! Ours looks like this all the time!" they joked. "Well, the church wanted to welcome you guys and help you out a little," the man said, opening the tote. The contents almost brought me to tears and both of our jaws dropped. In the tote contained a Thanksgiving meal, including a turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, an apple pie, and other assorted canned foods and fresh fruit. Also, there was a card containing two $25 giftcards for more groceries.

"Oh my...wow...thank you so much!" we managed to sputter out, still frozen in amazement at this generous offering. We stood around and talked for a little while longer as the woman held Robby, playing with him and talking to him (of course he hammed it up for her as he always does), then they prayed with us and left. After I shut the door behind them, I turned to Matt, who still had a shocked look on his face, "Wow. Can you believe this?"

"No. Not at all, but I think we've found our church," he replied, smiling.

I've never experienced this before. Never have I known what genuine, unconditional friendship and generosity feels like. We've only known this group of people for a month or so, but they have shown us more kindness and care than anyone I've ever known in my whole life. After leaving our old church, we prayed and prayed for God to lead us to a church that would be good for us and our growing family and I think we've finally found where we were meant to be. Unfortunately, this kind of throws a wrench into our hope and "plan" to move to Denver, but Matt and I both agreed that this church alone was worth staying for and it must not be in God's plan for us to move just yet.

So, for those from the Magic Valley Bible Church that do read my blog, thank you. Thank you for accepting us and caring about us. You really have no idea what it means and how you've profoundly changed our lives and thoughts just by your love. Thank God for you all and we look forward to growing with you.

Now...to learn how to cook a turkey. *tremble*
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS