The Women Who Shaped Me

Saturday, May 7, 2011

I've been showcasing the women who have played the role of "mother" to me in my life on Facebook. I wanted to share those on here as well. Whether I feel warm fuzzies over the fact that God thought I required more than one mom to raise me is questionable, but each and every one of these ladies have influenced me and shaped me into the mom I am today and I am blessed to have each and every one of them.
This is my birth mom. For selfish reasons, she left me with my grandparents at the age of three. She popped in and out my life until I was fifteen and I haven't seen her since. I don't know where she is or if she's even alive, but I forgive her and thank her. Unknowingly, she gave me a better life and put me on the path to where I am, and who I am, today. So, in a way, abandoning me was the best thing she ever did for me.

I pray and think of her daily, hoping that her eyes will be open to Truth and that she someday finds peace, since her life has been anything but peaceful.

 This is my grandmother, who sacrificed her empty nest for one more. Grandparents shouldn't have to raise their grandchildren, but I'm grateful that she willing and able to for my sake. She was such a fun grandma and I have many fond memories of sitting with her at her piano as she played and building a house out of lawn mower boxes in the store.

 This is my aunt, who helped raise me. When I was 15, I moved to Everett, WA with her, where our relationship really started to bloom. It was a matter of survival for us over there, so we had to stick together, but we also had a lot of fun together as our bond grew. I'm proud to consider her my Mama, when she didn't have to be.

And yes - I was a filthy child. If you're a farm kid, you understand.

 This is my step-mom. Despite the sensitive situation of me meeting my dad, she accepted me with open arms from day one. I took her for granted for many years, but in my adult life, when no one else seemed to care, she was there for me. It was then I started to see her as much more than just my dad's wife. She is so much more than my step-mom. She's my mom, my sister, and my best friend. She has been there for me more times than I can count and she's gone above and beyond her title. She's an immense blessing in our lives. 

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart - whether you come by it naturally or by extraordinary circumstances. It will hurt you, drain you, break you, stretch you, and overall change you for the rest of your life. But scars do heal and people grow, and what you end up with is this incredible God-given chance of a lifetime; a chance to carry, deliver, love, and bond with these simple creations that were made just for you by God's own hand. They demand everything from you - your heart, your mind, your soul, but the reward is great; unconditional love from a child, who's whole tiny world revolves around you.

After the diapers have been changed, the messes cleaned up, and the balls of energy are finally asleep, the once-forgotten joys of the day shine through despite the stresses and tears. Sloppy kisses, pure giggles, and untainted affection from our children is what we thrive on. It's what makes our jobs worth it at the end of the day.

Thank you to those women who were willing to sacrifice part of themselves for me.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS