Melt in Your Mouth Lemon Bars Recipe

Sunday, May 1, 2011

I stumbled across these on Just A Pinch (darn you Facebook ads!). Driven by my sweet tooth and love for citrusy-things, I just had to make these. By chance, I was given some lemons from a family-owned tree from San Diego. Oh, happy occurrence. :)

First off - YUM. Second, although they are seriously delicious, they do require some fine-tuning, I think. While making the frosting, I substituted one of the tablespoons of cold water for lemon juice. While it helped, these bars still lacked that tangy bite I had my mouth very ready for. I saw a comment below the recipe suggesting some lemon zest, so I may try that next time. I might cut out the water in the frosting all together and just use lemon juice, too. They just need to be more...lemony. Also, I'd like to go on the record - my oven is retarded. Despite cooking for the correct time at the correct temperature, it caramelized the edges. Not a huge deal, as these bars still live up to their "melt-in-your-mouth" status, but still a shame.

Melt in Your Mouth Lemon Bars

CRUST
2 c flour
1 c butter softened (no substituting)
1/2 c powdered sugar

FILLING
4 eggs (slightly beaten)
2 c sugar
4 Tbsp flour
6 Tbsp lemon juice

FROSTING
1/2 c butter (softened)
1 c powdered sugar
1 tsp milk

1.   MIX CRUST INGREDIENTS WITH FORK AS YOU WOULD FOR A PIE CRUST. PAT INTO A 9X13 PAN WHICH HAS BEEN GREASED AND FLOURED. BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 15 MINUTES.
2.   AS CRUST IS BAKING. MIX FILLING. AFTER CRUST HAS BAKED 15 MINUTES, POUR FILLING OVER CRUST AND CONTINUE BAKING FOR 25 MINUTES. COOL BARS COMPLETELY
3.   MAKE FROSTING BY BEATING BUTTER,POWDERED SUGAR AND MILK FOR 6 TO 8 MINUTES ON HIGH SPEED. THEN ADD 2 TBS. COLD WATER ONE AT A TIME. BEAT UNTIL SMOOTH. SPREAD OVER COOLED BARS.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS