Egg Nog Cream Pie Recipe

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Matt isn't a big fan of pumpkin. Okay, he hates it. So, when I set out to make our Thanksgiving menu, I set out to find a fallish alternative (I bought a pumpkin pie for Rob and I anyway). In my search, I came across this. Matt generally doesn't like egg nog, but has just recently been more open to the taste, so I offered this delicious-sounding pie. As I'm posting this, I have yet to actually try this pie, since it hasn't set yet because I'm a dummy and put it in the fridge to cool with the plastic lid, causing the heat to linger. I'll let you know when I actually try it, but here's the recipe anyway. If you manage to try it before I do, you're on your own.

Egg Nog Cream Pie

2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups egg nog, divided
6 eggs, yolks only
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 graham cracker pie shell (8-inch)

1. Place the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 3 quart heavy sauce pan and whisk together.

2. Whisk egg yolks with 1/4 cup egg nog in a small bowl. Then add the egg nog mixture to the dry ingredients in the sauce pan and whisk together.

3. Add 1 3/4 cups of egg nog to the sauce pan and whisk well. Cook on medium high heat until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly.

4. Remove from heat and add vanilla and remaining 1 cup egg nog; whisk well. Pour into the graham cracker pie shell. Refrigerate. Top with whipped cream.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS