Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie Recipe

Monday, November 16, 2009

This is the best pie you'll ever eat. Matt and I had a piece of raspberry cream cheese pie when he took me out for my birthday and since then I've been scouring the internet trying to find a similar recipe. I think I may have found it. I must say, for only being the second pie I've ever made and by far the most complicated, I'm quite proud of my results (see photo)!

The recipe calls for fresh raspberries, but I had to use frozen, since they're out of season. I'm sure you could experiment with whatever berry you wanted or whatever happens to be in season. I plan on trying other berries in the future. Also, if you know how to make pie crust, I suggest you use it instead of the store bought ones. I used Wal-Mart brand crusts and I regretted it. They were crumbly and thin. Pillsbury makes a decent premade crust, however.

Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie

9 inches pie shells, baked & cooled
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff peaks are formed
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice (typically from one lemon)
4 cups fresh raspberries

1. In a small mixing bowl, beat soft cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Mix in half of whipped cream until thoroughly combined, then fold in remaining cream very gently. Spread evenly into pie shell. (You may refrigerate while cooking berries.)
2. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice with a whisk until smooth. Stir in raspberries.
3. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook and stir berries for 2 minutes or until thickened. Then, in a mesh strainer set over a medium bowl, press berries into strainer, separating seeds from filling. (If you'd like, keep about a tablespoon of seeds in the filling for texture/appearance.) Cool to room temperature, then spread over cream cheese layer.
4. Refrigerate until serving for at least 3-4 hours. Filling will thicken as it sets. Don't try to cut into it without letting it completely cool! Serve with whipped topping.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS