A Letter to My Son

Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Dearest Robert,

Celebrating your first birthday has been bittersweet for your father and I. As blessed and excited as we are to watch you grow, we are sad that this year has gone by already.

You have come so far from the tiny little baby we brought home from the hospital. I barely remember just how tiny you were, but the photos always remind me. I reminisce often, but to see you playing and laughing fills my heart with pure joy. Once weak and helpless, you are now strong and full of life. Only by God's loving Grace, of course, and not because of anything we have done. He grew you and raised you up to be the adventurous, active toddler you are now. To watch you grow, learn, and develop tops my list of thanksgiving. When I pray to the Lord, I thank Him daily for you, for I am so very blessed to be your mother. Of all the women on Earth, He chose me to be your mom - how fortunate I am! I couldn't of asked for a better son. You fill my days with laughter and joy and it has been an honor and blessing to raise you thus far. We have so much to look forward to.

I try to remember what it was like before you. I only remember it being sad and empty. We prayed and prayed that the Lord would bless us with a child, but it didn't happen for a long time. God had closed my womb, waiting for the perfect moment for you to come to us. Oh, what a happy day that was! Much rejoicing was heard from our house! Each day I would thank God to finally have you and with each kick and squirm I wanted to fall to my knees and cry for joy. It wasn't enough, though - I couldn't wait to hold you in my arms! And then, the day finally came. Although it was a struggle and we thought we were going to lose you, you were here and I could hold you and kiss you and sing to you all I pleased! What a blessed day!

So, my dear one, my prayer for you on your first birthday is that you continue to grow strong and healthy, both in body and in spirit. I pray someday for your salvation and to be a Godly man, husband, and father. I pray that God gives your father and I the strength, wisdom, and guidance to raise you and to be good examples of what Christian parents are like. I am thankful that the Lord saved your father and I so that we could raise you on a strong foundation in hopes that you'll someday hear His calling as we did. I am so thankful that you are our son!

We love you and are so very proud of you!

Love,
Mama


 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS