Denver Trip: Day 1

Sunday, May 10, 2009

So, I thought I'd do this a little differently this time, since I have a decent working laptop and internet access this time - a day-by-day, blow-by-blow account of our vacation! You're excited. I can tell.

Day one. Well, the day prior to day one (day zero?) we picked up our rental car. We almost weren't able to go on this trip because of a little mix up with the rental! They didn't explain to us and we didn't know that we needed an actual credit card to rent a vehicle and we have is a debit card. I was forced to call my mama, who's saved me more times than I'd care to admit. She was more than willing to help us out and we were able to get our car. Oh, our car! It's beautiful! I know it's nothing special to anyone else, but to us - wow! They handed us the keys to an '08 Chevy Impala and when we set eyes upon this thing, we were floored. We were almost embarrassed about how flashy it was and were tempted to go ask for something else. I know you're probably thinking, "It's just an Impala, Jenn..." but compared to the heap of junk we have to drive, this thing might as well be a brand new Mustang or something! And such a smooth, comfortable ride with plenty of space and XM Radio to boot! I think we both could agree that the trip down was one of the more enjoyable trips to Denver, aside from our Amtrak trip.

Day one we drove...and drove and drove and drove. We were planning on getting out the door at 3am, but Matt accidentally turned off his alarm rather than snooze the alarm, so we ended up sleeping in an extra hour! Thankfully, we needed that extra hour, though, so we got out the door around 4:30am. Most of the morning was spent listening to Wretched Radio and having theological discussions as Robby slept. In Green River, Wyoming, we decided to stop off and have some lunch and let Robby burn some energy. We found a lovely park with a big gazebo and lots of grass. We ended up staying there for a good hour, taking our time to eat, play, and take some photos. We didn't rush at all and just took our time while gassing up by wandering the truck stops, letting Robby look at everything. We always ended up at a Pilot stations, so they all had the same Pooh Bear toys that he would get really excited about and then proceed to "chat" with for a while. We would have bought him one, but they were $20! We'll just have to swing by and "visit" them on the way home. We ended up at Mom and Dad's around 5:30pm, so we didn't make bad time, even though we dottled a lot.

Robby did fantastic and spent most of his time playing with toys, singing along to the radio, and snoozing. We had a couple meltdowns, but I just think he was done with being in his seat - which I can't blame him! He loved stopping and looking around, though, and definitely loved the park. As soon as we let him loose at our destination, he quickly took off and was crawling everywhere and was into everything - just like at home! He had no issues with being picked up by random people or by the dogs running away from him in terror. I was worried about him sleeping that night because he'd be in his playpen on the floor, but he didn't make a fuss and went right down. He woke up a couple of times during the night, confused about where he was, but I soothed him, tucked him back in, and he went right back to sleep. He awoke bright and chipper the next morning and was so excited to see both Matt and I sleeping next to him.

So, onto day two. I don't know what we have in store for today, but I know that Matt and I have to go out and get our Mother's Day gifts for Mom and Grandma Jeanne taken care of (a family photo of us, framed). I'm sure it'll be wonderful, though! It always is! Until then.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS