Yarnies for the Gospel

Saturday, August 28, 2010

I have inadvertently spearheaded a ministry. I know. Like I need more on my plate, but maybe you, my dear reader, can help me.

I stumbled across an organization called Caps for Good, where you knit or crochet baby hats for babies in third-world countries. I liked the premise, but it lacked the all-important gospel. There's no point in doing good for people if it lacks the message of salvation. "Just makes the world a nicer place to go to Hell from," as my husband says. So, I searched and searched for a "Christian version", but to no avail. I prayed for God to send me an opportunity, if it was His will for me to serve Him in this way.

The next day, Kathy, my step-mom, contacted me and said that I could send over goods (hats, mittens, scarves, blankets, etc.) with her when she goes back to Africa with The Luke Commission (details below) in February. Yes, believe it or not, it does get cold in Africa! She told me that they use whatever warmth they can find, as their homes are not heated, nor are they very well-insulated (most live in shacks or huts). I thanked her profusely and started "recruiting" as many of my "yarnie" friends as I could think of. So far, I have a couple ladies from my church who are interested, but I'm sure we could use a lot more.

If anyone is interested in donating your time and talent to help our cause, please comment and I can give you the needed information. Warm, good-quality crocheted or knitted goods infant to adult size are needed. Even if you're interested in donating yarn, that will be a blessing, too! It will be a wonderful way to help spread the gospel and help the people of Swaziland!

About The Luke Commission: (From their website) "The Luke Commission is a Christian medical mission serving remote regions in southern Africa. We take our mobile medical clinic to rural villages, schools, churches, chief's kraals, and orphan care points and offer free medical care, medications, HIV testing and counseling, vision care, eyeglasses, Bibles and the Hope of the Gospel. Current efforts are concentrated in the bush of Swaziland, a tiny country with the highest HIV/AIDS rate in the world."

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you..." -Matthew 28:19-20
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS