Drew's First Checkup/Update

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

So, I'm a little late on this. Please forgive a sleep-deprived woman (a.k.a. a mom). Drew had his first checkup on Monday and I also had my staples removed. The doctor said Drew looked great and was almost back to his birth weight - a very good sign and definite improvement from where Rob was at this point. The doctor said his color and overall health was good, but he also told me that the hospital was concerned about his tongue, that he may have tongue tie, but the doctor checked and assured me that it wouldn't be a problem and wouldn't require treatment. I noticed this issue when at the hospital, but didn't think much of it, since no one mentioned anything to me. I have to take Drew back on Friday for another checkup with a different doctor, so I think I'll ask for a second opinion just to make sure. I'll update on that later. Getting my staples removed was quite painful, as some of the staples had embedded themselves into my skin and required some "digging". The P.A. also noted that my incision was slightly infected and prescribed antibiotics. Despite the infection, I'm feeling great, especially after getting my staples out. I was given a prescription for pain medication, but haven't needed it. I took ibuprofen when I did start feeling uncomfortable, but now I don't feel any pain. Sadly, even though I'm recovering from surgery and have to get up with a newborn at night, I have less pain, discomfort, and exhaustion than when I was pregnant. I don't think people realize just how miserable I really was in the end. I'm just thankful it's over!

Things are starting to settle in fairly well. We're working on getting Drew on some sort of a schedule, but he keeps changing it up for us, but I really don't expect anything less. I've had to supplement with formula, as my milk is taking it's sweet time in fully coming in, but it's definitely a vast improvement over last time. I'm able to provide a lot more for Drew than I ever did with Rob. We seem to have a good "system" down. I offer the breast first, wait for him to have his fill on both sides, and then finish him off with a bottle. My body gets the "idea", he gets fed. It's a win-win situation. He averages about two feedings a night, which is definitely doable for me, depending on what time he allows me to go to bed to begin with. He seems to be a rather content, sweet baby and, when he is awake and full, is quiet and alert. He's fascinated by his big brother, who loves talking to him, pointing out his features, and giving him kisses. Rob is adjusting better than we thought and is actually quite helpful. His specialty is running dirty diapers to the garbage. He still tends to act out for attention off and on, but not often. He's rather patient for a toddler. Thankfully, he has a decent grasp on what it means to "wait". It's still weird to think we have two kids, but we feel immensely blessed by these precious little gifts. Matt and I are working great as a team. He, along with my step mom, are a huge help to me, as I try to step up and adjust to be a mother-of-two. Things, overall, have gone very smoothly. God has been incredibly merciful to us.

That's all I have for now. Depending on how things go, I may update again at Drew's next checkup, but really it's just another blood test, so nothing too exciting. My baby shower is also on Friday and I'm really looking forward to it. I love "sharing" my new little one. Until then...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS