Drew Update

Thursday, February 25, 2010

This doctor's visit was absolutely horrid. Forgive the snarky attitude to come. Hold on to something - it's ventin' time.

So far, I've gone 34 weeks without complication or issue or any hint at either, but then I met a new doctor that I had never had before at this office. As soon as I walked in and had my blood pressure taken (which was the lowest it's been the whole time), the nurse informed me that I needed to discuss with the doctor about my weekly stress tests. Huh? News to me! When confronting the doctor about it, I was informed that it was "suggested" since I have a history of chronic hypertension and a high BMI. Okay. Agreed, but is is truly necessary since my blood pressure has stayed low? She didn't really give me a clear-cut answer and instead went into a long, drawn-out lecture about the danger of high blood pressure while pregnant. I understand the risks, but again - my blood pressure's been LOW. She then measured my belly and informed me that it was getting bigger steadily (duh), but that might mean that either the baby is big or I have extra fluid. My ultrasound next week will determine exactly what the case may be, but if Drew is deemed "big", they will have to take him early, but in order to determine how early, they'll have to do an amniocentesis. Again, this is all according to a doctor I have never seen before - other than she took out my staples when I had Robby. That's our history. She then had the gall to ask me if I was planning on having my tubes tied during this c-section - because "a lot of people want to stop at two after two c-sections". Well, hon - I'm not a lot of people and I don't quite want to make that hard decision right here and now, thank you. And considering I was told I can safely have up to four c-sections by another doctor I do trust, I'm definitely not making that decision with you. Then, she tells me, "You need to behave yourself for the next few weeks. Take it easy. Make your husband vacuum and cook." Right. I laughed, "For one, I have a 19-month-old at home. Two, I already do as little as possible because I'm tired and uncomfortable. Three, my husband works all day at a strenuous job and already does more for me than he needs to." "Well," she says, "I'll tell you what I tell all my other patients - you can either do bedrest at home or bedrest at the hospital." Okay? How does that change anything?

So, next week I have to go back for what she described as a "really long visit". I'll have my regular checkup plus and ultrasound PLUS a stress test. Thankfully, I'll be seeing another doctor. Hopefully someone who can give me a better answer as to what the heck is going on. I definitely want a second opinion, considering this came completely out of left field. My venting's done, now.

I covet your prayers - both for the safety and well-being of our baby and for my attitude and stress level. I don't know how on Earth they expect me to keep my blood pressure down after telling me all this, but it's all in God's hands, now. His will be done.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS