First Prenatal Appointment

Thursday, September 10, 2009

I had my first prenatal appointment today, and I was dreading it. I hate this part. Doctors sure know how to suck the joy right out of having a baby, it seems, but I was proven wrong, thankfully. I'm going with a different doctor this time; doctors, rather. I'm going to St. Luke's OB/GYN, so I'll have six different doctors looking after me. Something I wasn't thrilled about before, but I think it will ultimately work out to my advantage.

Since our second car is now dead (R.I.P. Gertrude), I had to beg from my aunt, who was kind enough to watch Rob and let me use her car. I went in and filled out all the necessary paperwork, as usual, and then waited. First, I saw what I assume to be a nurse of some sort. I wasn't really sure. She weighed me (I was lighter than I thought) and then she took my blood pressure, which was perfectly normal this time (I gave her fair warning beforehand, though). We then played 2o questions: "When was your last period?" "How was your last pregnancy?" "Would you every steal a monkey from the zoo?" (Okay, I made that last one up.) Then, I got to pee in a cup, strip down into a gown that was about ten sizes too small, and then wait some more (most thrilling part of my day). Finally, someone else came to visit me. A physician's assistant, who was incredibly nice and down to Earth. Very refreshing. We played another round of 20 questions and we talked about the nightmares of my pregnancy with Rob. Thankfully, it seems like I'll have a LOT more say in things. I found out that our hospital indeed does VBAC's (vaginal birth after c-section) and I might be a good candidate, but we would have to see how things are in the end to really make sure. I'll have to discuss things further with the actual doctor next time (October 8th) to find out what he suggests (I get the doctor who did my c-section). Of course, the issue of my weight came up, but only briefly. No nagging or scolding, just suggesting that I really watch what I eat and make sure to drink lots of water and watch my sodium intake to keep my blood pressure low. A pap and four viles of blood later, I was on my way home with an arm-load of books and information to look over.

They scheduled our first ultrasound (already!) for Monday morning, so I'm looking forward to that (somewhat - not the "ooh, warm goop on my belly" kind - the "oh, can I please find a hole and hide myself?" kind). The PA told me that I might end up with more than just the usual two ultrasounds (one around 12 weeks and one around 21 weeks) because of my issues last time and because of my unsure delivery state (VBAC or c-section). That's also the reason why I'm having an earlier ultrasound than usual, now. I think there might have been more wrong than what Dr. Dan was letting on judging by the PA's reactions to some of things I told her about my pregnancy/birth experience, but, of course, that doesn't matter, now. Rob's perfectly healthy and God spared us the worry, but I know better for this time and it sounds like I'll have better care. I'm very glad I decided to switch!

I will post pictures when I get them.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS