Prenatal Checkup - 14 Weeks

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Today's doctor's appointment had a bit of a rocky start, considering I was almost 20 minutes late to my appointment to begin with. Yikes! Never go to Wal-Mart if you need to be somewhere in the next hour. Seriously - that place makes you forget about time.

I got there and they were still willing to see me. I got to talk to a doctor this time, oddly enough the same doctor that performed my c-section last time (and he remembered me), and the main subject was the "endgame plan" - how this was going to play out and what kind of delivery I could expect. I told him that we would like to try for a VBAC and he was all for it, but he also told me that statistically speaking and all things considered, the odds of me delivering on my own with a creeping blood pressure, high weight, and past c-section make the odds for me delivering naturally very slim and that I should "plan for a c-section". He said that if I made to 37 weeks and went into labor on my own, he'd happily do a VBAC, but if I'm 38 weeks with high blood pressure, gave over. C-section time. He said they would really monitor me to make the best decision, but luckily, they can't induce me this time with a prior c-section. Whew! I do NOT want to do that again! He said, "It sounds like it would be a waste of time anyways. Nothing was working on you!" Nope. Not a thing! I didn't get past 2 cm. So, we'll just have to play it by ear and hope for the best, but at this point, I'm just wanting a healthy baby without the circus that last time brought.

I'm very impressed with the care I'm receiving at St. Luke's OB/GYN. I've heard horror stories, but so far, it's a vast improvement from Dr. Dan. Take for example, the doctor tried to find the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler, but of course couldn't find it. I wasn't shocked. Dr. Dan couldn't find Rob's for the longest time, too, but instead of saying, "better luck next time", this doctor gave me a quick ultrasound to find the heartbeat, free of charge! So, I got the reassurance of seeing our little one kick and squirm (which I've felt for the past week or so, too) and got to hear his/her little heart gallop along (158 BPM). I had to wait awhile to get my ultrasound because they were busy, but it was definitely worth it.

So, things are good. From the sounds of it, the baby's doing great. I have another appointment in a month and then a legit ultrasound sometime after that, hopefully telling us whether we're having a boy or girl. From what the doctor told me, the techs at their office are really good at "looking at babies", so hopefully our chances for finding out the gender are better than with Rob, the modest. So exciting! Please be praying that my blood pressure stays down this time, although it's way lower than it was with Rob, but still a threat. Also, I've been experiencing horrible sciatic pain since yesterday, which I understand is very normal with second pregnancies, so please be praying for relief for that on our trip coming up on Saturday.

That's all I have for now! :)
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS