VBS 2013

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Another VBS has come and gone. Five days of content stuffed into four and by the time it's over, everyone involved is mentally fried to a crisp. Makes me wonder why I keep going back year after year, but when I see the smiles and hear the joy, it comes back to me. I love being able to capture those moments; while everyone else is rushing around, I get to stop and observe through a lens. I love my job.

This year was special because Drew finally got to participate. Usually, he's stuck in the nursery, but our new director was nice enough to include some of the 3-year-olds. While he learned some difficult, but important, lessons during the week, it was a blessing. I very much enjoyed hearing the conversation over lunch between the two boys and the mutual excitement in the morning as we commuted. 

My "baby" boy painting a toilet paper roll snake in crafts. He LOVED being involved; all he's ever wanted was to be a "big kid". 

Rob painting his snake. Being his second year with the "big kids", he's all about VBS, now. Next to his birthday and 4th of July, it's the highlight of his summer.

Speaking of highlights, the kind people at Farm Bureau Insurance in Twin Falls loaned us Maggie, a cow simulate used as a teaching tool and made to allow people to experience milking a cow. HUGE hit at VBS this year. Everywhere I went, the kids were all a'buzz about getting to milk Maggie, pondering what it would be like to have to repeat the process every morning before breakfast. Many were not thrilled with the idea.

And we'll end with a self portrait -- photographer style. This has become some sort of weird tradition for me. I go to the mirrored wall along one of the church's stairways, make sure no one's coming to give me weird looks, and I snap a "selfie". Makes for good (and accurate) Facebook profile pictures. Hey, a good portion of the time, this is what I look like to people. I'm okay with that.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS